AOD Youth and Family Counsellor
Job no: 507085
Work type: Full Time Limited Tenure
Location: Melbourne Central
Categories: Youth Services
- Full Time – Fixed Term positions available commencing ASAP until December 2022
- Positions available in North, East, South and West Metro Melbourne
- SCAHDS Level 6 pay with access to generous NFP salary packaging benefits
At Anglicare Victoria our focus is on transforming the futures of children and young people, families and adults. Our work is based on three guiding pillars, Prevent, Protect, Empower. We offer a comprehensive network of services and seek to ensure the provision of high quality services that will bring about significant improvements in the life experience of the young people, children and families/caregivers with whom we work.
We currently have 4 positions available. 1 Position based in each of our Inner Metro Melbourne areas. The Inner East, Inner North, Inner West and South Eastern suburbs.
The Linking Youth and Families Together (PYF) Program aims to reduce problematic alcohol and other drug use amongst young people and the adverse effects on them and their families. The program does this by providing information, support and family inclusive therapeutic treatment as well as linkages to other community supports.
The primary client group for LYFT are young people aged between 12 – 21 years who are using alcohol and other drugs in a problematic way and their families. This cohort will include young people already engaged in Alcohol & Other Drug (AID) treatment and those who are not. The notion of family is understood broadly and includes relatives and significant others.
Key day to day duties will include:
- Provide therapeutic counselling for individuals and families.
- Connect with youth and families by engaging at times in a manner and in venues that are conducive to forming therapeutic relationships
- Assist family members to develop skills, strategies and behaviours that support the substance user in treatment and that improve the functioning of the family system.
- Assist the family to identify additional sources of support inside and outside the family that will sustain positive changes in the family system.
- Support the development of the LYFT program and maintain collaborative relationships and partners with other key services.
To Be Successful in this Position You Will Need:
- Tertiary qualifications in a relevant discipline (Psychology, Social Work, Social Science, Counselling) and specifically a minimum of a Cert IV in AOD or Post Graduate Certificate in AOD, including Dual Diagnosis competencies or a minimum 2 years in the AOD sector.
- Knowledge and experience of contemporary practice approaches in the alcohol and other drug sector.
- Knowledge and experience of the application of systemic theory and practice techniques in therapy with families, with specific emphasis on adolescents and their parents.
- Experience in working with young people, and knowledge of therapeutic interventions appropriate for young people at risk.
- The ability to self-manage and practice high level organisations skills, time management skills and self-direction.
Please Note: It is mandatory for the successful applicant to hold a current Working with Children Check and be prepared to undergo a National Criminal History Check and any other required employment screening prior to commencement.
For a detailed position description, click here: PD_AOD Youth and Family Counsellor.docx
To apply for this position you will need to complete the online application. You will be requested to attach your resume and your responses to the Key Selection Criteria as detailed on the PD.
For further enquiries contact Catherine Sherwin on 03 8470 9927
Anglicare Victoria acknowledges Aboriginal people as the traditional custodians of the land on which we operate. We commit to working respectfully to honour their ongoing cultural and spiritual connections to this country.
Diversity and inclusivity are important to Anglicare Victoria and we are committed to ensuring our workplace and services reflect this. Everyone is welcome at Anglicare Victoria, regardless of age, ethnicity, cultural background, gender, sexual orientation, religious affiliation and physical ability.
Advertised: AUS Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: AUS Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend