Alcohol and Other Drugs (AOD) Youth & Family Counsellor
Job no: 510682
Work type: Full Time Limited Tenure
Location: Western Suburbs
Categories: Youth Services, Counselling
- High quality AOD services targeting young people aged 12-21
- Contract till October 31st 2022 full time based at our office in Werribee
- AOD counselling and family inclusive therapeutic treatment
The position is a full-time parental leave position and is currently funded until October 31st 2022. The program will focus on providing service to the Western suburbs of Melbourne. This position will be based in Werribee.
The Linking Youth and Families Together (PYF) Program aims to reduce problematic alcohol and other drug use amongst young people and the adverse effects on them and their families. The program does this by providing information, support and family-inclusive therapeutic treatment as well as linkages to other community supports.
The primary client group for LYFT are young people aged between 12 – 21 years who are using alcohol and other drugs in a problematic way and their families. This cohort will include young people already engaged in Alcohol & Other Drug (AID) treatment and those who are not. The notion of family is understood broadly and includes relatives and significant others.
The position objectives and key responsibilities are as follows:
- Provide therapeutic counselling for individuals and families.
- Connect with youth and families by engaging at times in a manner and in venues that are conducive to forming therapeutic relationships
- Assist family members to develop skills, strategies and behaviours that support the substance user in treatment and that improve the functioning of the family system.
- Assist the family to identify additional sources of support inside and outside the family that will sustain positive changes in the family system.
- Support the development of the LYFT program and maintain collaborative relationships and partners with other key services.
- Knowledge, experience and practice in models of contemporary approaches in the alcohol and drug field.
- Highly developed communication skills (written and oral) and conflict resolution skills.
- Knowledge and experience of the application of systemic theory and practice techniques in therapy with families, with specific emphasis on adolescents and their parents.
- Experience in working with young people, and knowledge of therapeutic interventions appropriate for young people at risk.
- A demonstrated ability to be receptive and flexible to new ideas and the capacity to adapt to changing work demands and circumstances.
- A demonstrated ability to be a good team player and co-operate and support others in the pursuit of team and management goals.
- Good computer, organisational and time management skills and the ability to be self-directed, whilst working within a team.
- Must have current first aid Certificate or be willing to obtain first aid certificate for the role.
Tertiary qualifications in a relevant discipline such as Social or Welfare Work, including minimum AOD qualifications, including dual diagnosis competencies as well as minimum of 2 years’ experience in the AOD sector or equivalent.
What you need to know:
- Salary starts at $93,000 plus super plus salary packaging (Level 6 SCHCADS)
- Full time
- Office location: Werribee
- Maximum term until 31st October 2022 (possibility the role will be extended)
- Opportunity to work for one of the largest family services organisations in Victoria
- Access to discounted health insurance, free Employee Assistance, Salary Packaging and a range of other employment benefits supporting your physical and mental health
- Professional development, training, support and a culture of inclusivity and resilience
- Our Rainbow Tick Accreditation
- A leadership team that are passionate about achieving the best possible outcomes for children, young people and families
Please Note: It is mandatory for the successful applicant to hold a current Working with Children Check and be prepared to undergo a National Criminal History Check prior to commencement. AV employees are required to either be fully vaccinated against Covid 19 or have a medical exemption. AV will require evidence that you are compliant with these requirements.
Ready to take the next step:
For a detailed position description, click here: Position Description - Alcohol and Other Drugs (AOD) Youth and Family Counsellor (LYFT - Full-Time Limited Tenure May 2022).docx
To apply for this position you will need to complete the online application, click APPLY NOW below.
For any further information or inquires please contact Terese Cunningham on 9731 2500 or Terese.Cunningham@anglicarevic.org.au
Applications close Sunday 22nd May
Anglicare Victoria acknowledges Aboriginal people as the traditional custodians of the land on which we operate. We commit to working respectfully to honour their ongoing cultural and spiritual connections to this country.
Diversity and inclusivity are important to Anglicare Victoria and we are committed to ensuring our workplace and services reflect this. Everyone is welcome at Anglicare Victoria, regardless of age, ethnicity, cultural background, gender, sexual orientation, religious affiliation and physical ability.
Advertised: AUS Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: AUS Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend